AUGSA Announces New Bursaries and Awards Policy!
AUGSA has created a new awards and bursaries policy effective January 1, 2019.
AUGSA now provides the following awards:
1. Outstanding Distinction Awards – 5 awarded annually – $1125 – Apply by October 15
This award recognizes members of the Athabasca University community who have demonstrated a high degree of leadership and engagement in their communities, their studies, and/or their professional lives.
2. AUGSA Bursaries – 8 awarded annually, twice a year – $1000 -Apply by March 1 & November 1
AUGSA Bursaries are intended to aid members in financial need. Additional circumstances such as disabilities, single parent/caregiver status, etc., may be taken into consideration. Awards are payable to the recipient by electronic funds transfer. No member may receive the AUGSA Bursary more than once per six-month period. The award deadline will be used for making this determination.
3. Computer Bursaries – 5 awards of a computer valued up to $700
Computer Bursaries are available to members who demonstrate financial need to provide them with a laptop computer for their course work. This is a cash award requiring a proof of purchase for same. Members may only receive this award once. Applications are accepted at any time of year.
4. Travel Bursaries – 4 awarded annually up to $1000
Travel Bursaries are intended to aid members in travelling to attend AU convocation, labs, practicums, on-site courses, or related conferences. Applications are accepted any time of year; however, they must be submitted a minimum of 30 days prior to the date of travel. Applicants requesting help with travel to AU convocation are not required to be AUGSA members at the time of the request, however proof of graduation from AU is required.
This is a cash award requiring proof of purchase.
5. Emergency Bursaries – 5 provided up to $700 maximum
Emergency Bursaries are provided to help members during times of urgent financial need and unforeseen circumstances. A member may apply for this bursary more than once per fiscal year but may not be awarded assistance greater than the maximum amount ($700) in a fiscal year. Applications are accepted at any time of year.
To apply please fill out this form: Application- Awards and Bursaries
Send your application by email to email@example.com
Or mail to:
10818 Jasper Avenue NW
PO Box 35092
Edmonton, AB T5J 0B7
Recognizing the achievements of our students
As a graduate student at Athabasca University, you may be eligible for a number of awards and scholarships to help fund your education. In addition to the Outstanding Distinction Awards that the AUGSA offers, and the Government of Alberta’s Graduate Citizenship Award administered by the GSA, you may be eligible for awards offered by the University, the Government of Alberta, or the Government of Canada.
Other Awards for AU Grad Students
The goal of the Graduate Student Research Fund (GSRF) is to enable students enrolled in graduate programs at Athabasca University to conduct research that:
- Is of value to the University (that is, relating to the mission of Athabasca University as articulated in the University’s mission statement) – through the Graduate Student Mission Critical Research Fund (GSMCRF);
- Advances disciplinary knowledge – through the Graduate Student Disciplinary Research Fund (GSDRF);
- Funds are also available for dissemination of quality research findings for either mission critical research or disciplinary research.
GSRF Application Guidelines and Application Forms are available at the AU Research Centre website under “Graduate Student Research”