2021 Executive Committee Elections
To view your 2021-2022 Executive Committee Candidates, click here!
Online voting takes place MARCH 10TH & 11TH at https://elections.augsa.com.
2021 Faculty Representative Elections Information & Timeline
Are you an Athabasca University graduate student? Do you want to become more involved in the AU student community, post-secondary educational landscape, and advocate for students? Consider running in the Athabasca University Graduate Students’ Association elections! The Association holds both the Executive Committee and Council Member elections annually during the months of February and March.
The 2021 Faculty Representative elections for Council Members shall consist of the following periods:
- Nomination Period: Opens March 9 and closes on March 16 at 4:00 PM.
- Preparation Period: March 17 to March 23.
- Campaigning Period: March 24 to March 30.
- Polling (online voting): March 29 & March 30.
Still not sure if you should throw you name in the hat? Interested in attending a Q&A to learn more? Come to the Grad Lounge on Friday, March 5th at 5:00 PM MST and two former student leaders will be there to answer all the questions you have! Join the online meeting here!
Executive Committee Information
AUGSA has four (4) members on the Executive Committee that report to Council. This includes AUGSAs President, Vice President of Operations & Finance, Vice President Academic, and Vice President External. Serving one-year terms from May 1 to April 30, each position is uniquely positioned to advance the objectives of the organization with a primary focus on student representation and advocacy.
All of our Executive Committee positions are paid positions. The President position offers $45,000 for a year of service. The Vice President positions also offers $28,000 for a year of service.
Please ensure to read the role descriptions below prior to running in the AUGSA election. You can review AUGSAs bylaws and policies for additional information on the roles and responsibilities of each position as well as election rules that govern the elections process.
- President Role Description
- VP External Role Description
- VP Operations & Finance Role Description
- VP Academic Role Description
Faculty Representative Information
AUGSA has thirteen (13) Faculty Representatives that serve on Council for an elected one-year term from May 1 to April 30. This includes:
- Two (2) Representatives from Faculty of Science and Technology
- Three (3) Representatives from Faculty of Health Disciplines
- Five (5) Representatives from Faculty of Humanities and Social Sciences
- Three (3) Representatives from Faculty of Business
This Council represents the graduate student membership with each Council member representing their faculty. All meetings for Faculty Representatives are online using Microsoft Teams Meetings.
Faculty Representatives are paid an honorarium on a per-meeting basis, along with compensation for monthly communications, with a cap of $250 per month. Please ensure to read the role descriptions below prior to running in the AUGSA election.
All Graduate Students are eligible to run in the AUGSA Elections. For Executive Committee positions you must reside in Canada. For some Executive Committee positions candidates are preferably located in Alberta.
- Executive Committee: Throughout their term voting members of the Executive Committee must be an Active Member of the Association.
- Council: All councilors must be active members in good standing and successfully complete at least three (3) University graduate credits during their term in office.
- Permanent full time AU staff are not eligible to run for either Executive or Council positions.
*Active members of the association includes all graduate students, program and non-program, at the University who are in good standing.