Are you an Athabasca University graduate student? Do you want to become more involved in the AU student community, post-secondary educational landscape, and advocate for students? Consider running in the Athabasca University Graduate Students’ Association elections! The Association holds both the Executive Committee and Council Member elections annually during the months of February and March.
2021 Elections Timeline
The 2021 Executive Committee elections of the Association shall consist of the following periods:
- Nomination Period: Opens February 19 and closes on February 26 at 4:00 PM.
- Preparation Period: February 26 to March 4.
- Campaigning Period: March 5 to March 11.
- Polling (online voting): March 10 & March 11.
The 2021 Faculty Representative elections for Council Members shall consist of the following periods:
- Nomination Period: Opens March 9 and closes on March 16 at 4:00 PM.
- Preparation Period: March 17 to March 23.
- Campaigning Period: March 24 to March 30.
- Polling (online voting): March 29 & March 30.
Elections Nomination Form (available in February 2021)
Executive Committee Information
AUGSA has four (4) members on the Executive Committee that report to Council. This includes AUGSAs President, Vice President of Operations & Finance, Vice President Academic, and Vice President External. Serving one-year terms from May 1 to April 30, each position is uniquely positioned to advance the objectives of the organization with a primary focus on student representation and advocacy.
Please ensure to read the role descriptions below prior to running in the AUGSA election. You can review AUGSAs bylaws and policies for additional information on the roles and responsibilities of each position as well as election rules that govern the elections process.
- President Role Description
- VP External Role Description
- VP Operations & Finance Role Description
- VP Academic Role Description
Faculty Representative Information
AUGSA has thirteen (13) Faculty Representatives that serve on Council for an elected one-year term from May 1 to April 30. This includes:
- Two (2) Representatives from Faculty of Science and Technology
- Three (3) Representatives from Faculty of Health Disciplines
- Five (5) Representatives from Faculty of Humanities and Social Sciences
- Three (3) Representatives from Faculty of Business
This Council represents the graduate student membership with each Council member representing their faculty. All meetings for Faculty Representatives are online using Microsoft Teams Meetings. Faculty Representatives are paid an honorarium for their committee work and attending Council meetings.
Please ensure to read the role descriptions below prior to running in the AUGSA election.
- Executive Committee: Throughout their term voting members of the Executive Committee must be an Active Member of the Association.
- Council: All councilors must be active members in good standing and successfully complete at least three (3) University graduate credits during their term in office.
- Permanent full time AU staff are not eligible to run for either Executive or Council positions.
*Active members of the association includes all graduate students, program and non-program, at the University who are in good standing.