Available Jobs at AUGSA
Conference Coordinator (Contract Position)
AUGSA and Athabasca University Faculty of Graduate Studies collaborate annually to present a Graduate Student Research Conference. This year the conference will take place in the beginning of October, 2020.
The successful applicant will be able to meet the following requirements.
Contractor’s duties shall be:
- Serving on the Graduate Student Research Conference steering committee
- Liaising with all committees and subcommittees involved in the planning of the conference and updating the Steering Committee on their status
- Acting as the primary point of contact for all committees and subcommittees
- Ensuring that all committees are on schedule and attending committee meetings
- Managing numerous tasks and deadlines to ensure that the conference will be a success
- Evaluating and tracking ongoing conference planning progress, successes, and challenges
- Chairing the Program Committee
- Preparing and printing of program
- Assisting in the management of volunteers and staff during the conference
- Working with AUGSA and AU staff to coordinate catering
- Working with IT staff to ensure that content on the conference website is maintained and up-to-date
- Performing other responsibilities that may be assigned as necessary for the success of the conference
- Actively taking part in the managing of the conference while in progress
- Involvement in conference wrap-up including a final report with key learnings
We thank all applicants for their interest, but only those selected for an interview will be contacted. No phone calls, please.
Applications should include experiential information as well as current knowledge of our Graduate Student Research conferences.
Please email your cover letter and resume to:
Ross Tyson, Executive Director firstname.lastname@example.org
Applications close January 24 at 4 pm MST.
Volunteer With Us
There are many ways to get involved with your Athabasca University Graduate Students’ Association, and we are always enthusiastic to have more students participating!
In November, all graduate students are welcome to self-nominate themselves to stand as a candidate either for an Executive position or to represent their program area as a Council Member. As a member of the GSA Council, students participate in shaping GSA political policy and in guiding general Association operations.
Outside of the GSA Council, the GSA has many Committees that members of the general Athabasca University graduate student body can participate in. These Committees include: the Web Committee (managing AUGSA’s presence online), the Awards Committee, and the Bylaw Committee (reviewing and interpreting Bylaws). In addition to the Committees, we have several ongoing volunteer opportunities, such as the role of Chief Returning Officer (CRO).
Throughout the year, the GSA engages in several advocacy campaigns. Students can support the GSA in these campaigns through writing emails and letters to important officials expressing their subscription to the GSA position. Check out our News section for information on any current campaigns.